My well water tests good but sometimes it is reddish. I have installed a filter and it helps a lot. I installed it upside down so in the winter if I’m not around it will drain so it doesn’t freeze.
I finally got a small solar panel.
I have just hooked it up temporarily. I will mount everything permanent after I test for a while.
So far it is working great. It even charges the battery a bit more than the ac charger at the house.
Here’s how I stay clean at the homestead.
First the shower.
I still use the solar camp shower. Just fill the bag with water, lay it black side up in the sun for a couple hours, hang it up and voila. A hot shower. By the end of the summer I hope to have water run from the well to inside the cabin.
For laundry I just use a wash basin and hang the clothes to dry.
- Today I did a little dressing up of the inside window frames on the cabin. This is what they looked like unfinished.
Although they were framed and didn’t leak they weren’t very pretty. So I made use of the 1 x 4s I had left from when I took the shelving out of the original shed. A little measuring, cutting, routing and painting and this is the result.
Yesterday I had a bunch of 1 x 4s stacked to build windows frames today. Then it rained. All night. So I came up with this rack to dry them quick since there only seems to be one dry, sunny day.
When I am staying at the house in Titusville, I tend to eat ready made food. But cheese sausage and eggs freshly cooked and enjoyed on the porch are much better.
Two curious bruins were exploring the homestead this morning. One looked in the the window and said “somebody has been sleeping in my bed”.
After reviewing the video I believe what I thought were two yearling cubs was really a mother and her yearling. The bear who stayed back in the woods appears a bit larger than the one who came to the door.
The interior also evolved.
The composting outhouse is also developing.
Not really a composting outhouse. This basically an outhouse with a removable holding tank. The outhouse is designed to moved forward on skids after the back panel is removed. This allows the storage tank to be removed for composting and a new tank put in place.
The storage tank is just a 55 gallon blue poly drum. It is partially buried but can easily be pulled out.
The outhouse has been built but is not in use. I am not sure of the township and state legal requirements so I am currently using a portable camping toilet. I hope to replace the tank on the outhouse with an incinerating toilet which I’m sure is legal and does not need inspection. Composting toilet are also legal in Pennsylvania but most likely require inspection. The blue tank does not even have a hole in it yet. But it looks cool. When I permanently move here I will take care of residence legal requirements. At this time the cabin is actually still just a fancy shed.
I wouldn’t count on a very good garden this first year. The soil is pretty rocky and I couldn’t till very deep. Plus, even though I pre-sprayed the weeds, the area was covered with Milkweed. Milkweed is hard to get rid of. It is already growing back. I don’t plan on putting a lot of effort into it this year. If it does grow I may just let the wildlife enjoy it. By next year I hope to bring in some better top soil. I am amazed at how many edible wild plants are available all over my land.
Time to prepare a garden.
This year it is only about 24ft by 24ft.
There are also garden boxes around the deck.